Thursday, May 19, 2005

You Just Gotta Laugh
I have been so very busy the last few weeks. This is nothing new of course, but it can be stressing. I was reading an article yesterday in our local paper written by a wonderful woman who finds humour in every situation. God does indeed have a sense of humour, let me tell you how my morning has gone thus far and it isn't even 8:30 am.

I woke up early, my mind filling with the things I wanted to accomplish today which pushed away the ability to return to sleep. I decided to get up and proceeded to make a to do list, breakfast for my family and Allan's lunch (a very rare occurrence as he usually gets ready, eats, makes his lunch and is gone to work before I am finished getting ready and puttering around upstairs).

Breanna and Brendan woke as Allan walked out the door so I set them down to eat and thought I would grab a quick shower before they were finished, Ryan was there to help them if they needed something. As I was getting ready, I spotted the waxing strips I had set out yesterday to do my legs with. I usually shave my legs over winter (easy and MUCH less painful) but like to wax during the summer and I had some left over from last fall. They are soo easy to use, just warm them up between your hands, apply and rip them off. Slap on some waxing oil and you are set...

Right. On went the strip, off went the strip WITHOUT the wax. I had a thick layer of wax covering the back of my leg (of course I do the most sensitive part first, right behind the ankle). I started to freak because I can suddenly hear the clock ticking before Breanna comes up to "collect" me after she is done eating, and here I am not even in the shower yet.

I tried to scrape it off with first the edge of the plastic waxing strip (yeah, that so didn't work) and then my fingernails, which worked much better. But now my leg had streaks of wax and my fingers were all gummy. I grabbed the tiny bottle of waxing oil - which until this point I had always thought of as huge and wasteful because I hardly used any of it and they sent one with each package. I slathered it on my leg and it started to detach, though it was becoming more of a mud than simply sloughing off as I had hoped.

I thought it would be best to jump in the shower and work on it there, the warm water might help, right? I carefully cleaned my hands off so that I could wash my hair before I worked on the wax and jumped in. Shampoo in and I am getting my facial wash and realized I still had a large sticky part on my thumb... I freaked and touched my hair. Yup, right behind my right ear I found a sticky part. Waxing oil in my hair and my face washed, I started to tackle the wax.

Did you know that wax + waxing oil + water = sticky white wax? Yup, and it took a lot of scrubbing, judicious use of waxing oil and avoiding water to reduce the bulk of it, but now I am eyeing my waxing oil and knowing I am going to conserve it even more or I will run out completely. I carefully oiled my hands again, double-checking to ensure no sticky parts. I then washed the waxing oil out of my hair, shaved my legs (doing the waxed part last). I had hoped that shaving would take the rest of the wax off... and I really needed to change the blade anyway right? A gummy blade later, it did shave off some more of the wax... we are getting there.

Breanna is at the door so I let her in and try one more time with the waxing oil. We are down to a slightly sticky sheen and the full bottle of waxing oil is almost empty so I decide to cut my losses and get out of the shower. I dried off, the wax is in only two small spots and almost gone... and I could get a comb through my hair (though it did slow down in two spots, one I didn't notice before on the top of my head).


I chose to make the best of it and decided on shorts today (my legs are freshly shaved anyway!), avoiding the potential of my pants stuck to the back of my leg. My hair is fine and lacks body so maybe the sticky parts will give it some body too. I hope your day goes better and know that humour does indeed make things go much smoother... er, less sticky anyway.

2 comments:

BGK said...

wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall at the 1-800# on the box?

Specially the bikini wax...

Connie Thompson said...

LOL, indeed! I can't imagine having that much left-over wax in my "bikini zone." (shudder)