Saturday, May 28, 2005

Happy Birthday Ryan!

My precious son Ryan was born May 28, 1994 shortly after 9 am. It was with bittersweet tears running down my face that I saw his tiny, round chested body being extracted from an incision in my abdomen by a dear friend of mine who was a surgeon (until his retirment a few years ago) in Camrose for many years.

My surgeon friend told me after his birth that he was brow presenting, a very difficult presentation to correct, especially with ruptured membranes, and almost impossible to birth vaginally unless corrected. He also told me that I had a wonderful birthing pelvis and that there should be no reason for me to not consider a subsequent vaginal birth. Far different words than that my family practitioner had told me previously, that I had it easy now, I could simply schedule my next cesarean.

That was eleven years ago and that 9 lb 3 oz baby boy is now a tall, strong young man with a heart of gold and an artistic talent beyond his years. As a homeschool mother I watch him daily struggle with reading yet excel at problem solving (his determination and focus are incredible). We share other attributes too, he has my temper and he is left-handed, hence the reason for his mathmatical and artistic abilities (though somehow the math gene missed me).

My heart swells with pride and humbleness that God chose me to be his mother, may I continue to train him up in the way he should go.

No comments: