Friday, May 27, 2005

Mentorship

I am fresh from teaching two wonderful and amazing workshops in the past few weeks and will be embarking on another 2 1/2 day training for postpartum doulas next weekend. My class sizes have been small, understandable for my being a recent transplant and working out the kinks of both venue and learning the best advertising avenue's here.

Regardless, each and every workshop and every student has been a delight. Beyond the actual workshop, I continue to mentor and work with students as they begin their businesses and supporting families. Equally as exciting, this week I had a potential student come and interview me. She is currently on maternity leave and is wanting a more flexible occupation to better care for and be with her new son. Accompanying her was her younger sister who is very exciting about the possibility of them embarking in a new business together in their community, one truly needing the education and support they are wanting to provide. They went away very excited and with several goals they need to complete regarding feasibility and business implementation that they will work on together in preparation for their training and subsequent business startup.

Mentorship is a vital link for successful doulas, something I have done since I saw the need. I have also offered to mentor the new doulas who have just joined DAE as well. I personally had two amazing mentors, though both long distance, who made my frustrations and fears managable when I was ready to quit as a new doula. I wish every doula had that same support, if they so wish, on starting out too.

No comments: