Thursday, May 26, 2005

Doula Association of Edmonton

Whizzing along in our Grand Prix last night on my way to the Doula Association of Edmonton (DAE) meeting I was anticipating seeing the many doulas I have lost contact with since our move to Lloydminster and my inability to attend DAE meetings since we moved here. How long had it been since I was at a meeting? Almost four years, though I had taught several workshops including the DAE sponsored Body Awareness advanced workshop two years ago, so it hadn't been too long.

I was not only blessed by the number of old friends who I saw again, there were so many more that have joined in the last few years, including eight from the last McEwan workshop in April! The newly trained doulas from my workshop could not attend last night, but it was so wonderful to see the enthusiasm each of those in attendance had.

The focus of the meeting was a visioning for the upcoming year and wow the ideas that came from that meeting were amazing! I also learned of the many wonderful things that DAE has been doing since I last attended, very inspiring. Ironically, despite my vow to not volunteer for anything, I found myself energized by this exciting group and offering to consider their webmaster position. Having produced and maintained several websites (www.mother-care.ca, www.canadiandoulas.com, www.lloyddoulas.com and others outside of birth work) I can do it, but my time constraints are really the issue here, not my abilities. I am still pondering this quandry and likely will right up until the next meeting two months from now.

No comments: