Saturday, May 28, 2005

Becoming an Accredited Lactation Counsellor Trainer

As part of my ongoing training work, I have decided to expand my services to include being an accredited lactation counsellor trainer. The Global Birth Institute (GBI) is very excited about my being able to offer trainings for all four certification programs they offer. I will be the first to offer all four beyond Charlotte Millington, GBI's Director.

There is a LOT of work to do in becoming an accredited trainer though, including certification in that modality. I have been supporting women informally with breastfeeding basics and worked alongside several IBCLC's... not to mention long-term breastfeeding four children myself. However the final exam is daunting to say the least, I have a lot of studying to do!

After that, my work is reduced having already been approved for the other programs as a trainer, but I still need to create my objectives and instructional plan for the LC program syllabus. Though that is something that should be done for all workshops, it does take a fair amount of time, which anyone who teaches can attest to.

Putting together a syllabus is a piece of cake. It is the synopsis with each topic outlined to include learner objectives, timeline, teaching strategies, media used and handouts that take a huge amount of time and energy to prepare. Despite that, it is an excellent way to focus on the workshop and prepare fully for it! Anyone who does any teaching (trainers, childbirth educators, even short presentations) should follow the same guideline to ensure your audience learns what you are teaching.

I have given myself until January to have everything completed and approved, far longer than I need. The reason is because my workshop schedule is full so I had to move my workshop until January which gives me some breathing room, if I need it, to have it all together. I am so excited to embark on this new learning journey!

2 comments:

BGK said...

LOVE the new look, Connie, how'd ya do it?

I am amazed, girlfriend, when do you sleep?

Connie Thompson said...

You are asking me, and you are my inspiration Greasy Joan! I *love* your blog look and remember, sleep is optional for trained mothers ;D Just kidding!