Wednesday, November 09, 2005

When it rains...

I am very glad last weekend is over, I am still recovering and it’s Wednesday! We were anticipating a wonderful visit with Allan's parents at their home over the weekend. Everything was packed and ready to go when Allan returned home from work and we were off as soon as he landed. No sooner had we got on the road and everyone was settled in for the hour and a half drive when Allan told us of his day and the reason he was a bit late. His District Manager called him into his office just as he was leaving to ask him if he wanted to go to Grand Prairie, with a merit raise of course. He also asked that Allan not answer him immediately, but take the weekend to think about it. Great.

So we discussed the pros and cons of each of our options again, praying between discussions as to the path God wanted us to follow. I asked specifically for a strong sign that we wouldn't miss, boy was that something I regret now. We arrived and visited with Allan's parents for the evening, enjoying their company and taking sporadic breaks to arrange sleeping accommodations.

To make a long story short, Brendan and Ryan started throwing up that evening with Allan and Eric joining them first thing the next morning. I held out until the afternoon, just in time for our early drive home (we were planning on staying much longer). We only had to stop once for me to leave my lunch at the roadside, and I fell into bed the second we were home.

Sunday dawned with all of us feeling much better and off we went to church with my PowerPoint promo presentation in hand (on my jumpdrive) to announce Immanuel's Healthy Family Ministry Open House on November 20th. All we had to do was quickly add the soundtrack mp3 and show it during announcements. I was so excited! Alas, not reading instructions when using new equipment, the sound guy configured my jumpdrive, which had all of my current projects and the ENTIRE Healthy Family Ministry file on it. Yes, that means it was gone, including the last booklet in the Canadian Birth Professional series that I had almost completed. Yes I was freaking.

It wasn't a complete disaster, thank God. I opened my laptop to check to see if their computer just couldn't pull up the files and guess what I found? My book! I had been working on it on the laptop, closed the computer without closing down the program and it was all there! It didn’t have the last two hours I had done on Friday on another computer, but what a blessing it was to see it pop up, I tell you.

I have been working head down, bum up since then re-writing what I had lost, namely the PowerPoint presentation, and pulling lost files from different nooks and crannies in various computers, my outgoing email box and so forth. I have the important stuff, it is just to fill in the little things from memory and rewriting from pdf and hardcopy. See you when I come up for air!

No comments: