Thursday, June 03, 2004

Fatigue
I had no idea how much fatigue plays a role in parenthood. It is truly the great equalizer and I now can truly agree with it's potent abilities when used to find truths from war prisoners. I have not slept one complete night since my four-year old son was born, with 2 1/2 of those years sleep not being more than two hours at a time. Add a one-year old to the mix, who likely would sleep through the night if her brother didn't wake her at least once, and who does not go back to sleep once awakened... well you get the picture.

I am astounded at how fatigue not only affects your mental capacities, making you want to crave a vertical position at every possible moment, but how it affects your physical health as well. I am able to keep on a good functioning level with brief naps thanks to my older two sons, who's night sleep I protect as much as I can. Unfortunately, my husband who's sleep apnea prevents him from being a larger role in this, is also suffering because when I am woken, so is he.

Having four kids is not a walk in the park, I realize that. But it brings me to tears to even think about adding more to our family - something we have not seriously considered anyway. At 3 am this morning, when my littlest finally was asleep after her brother woke her at 1:30, I was in awe at my friends with "high order" children, one with 12 and one with 13. Do they ever sleep? How do they keep their sanity when all about them are sleepless?

No comments: