Friday, June 18, 2004

My Cup Overflows
I am not sure if it is my emerging availability now that Breanna is old enough for me to confidently support mothers or if it is my now looking at doula work as a positive in my life after all the negative of the last two and a half years, but I am suddenly getting calls from potential clients, and I have not announced my working again. I can only think that my working with the wonderful doulas in Lloydminster through successfully running the Lloydminster Doula Association is having some impact, even though none of my clients came through their referral system. I have chosen not to be on the list due to the fact that the other doulas are working towards certification, so I want them to be able to gain their births quickly. If they need support, I am always there to mentor them anyway.

I am excited again about my work! I now have clients in August, September, December, January and February, and another potential client emailed me this morning. Not all of them are in Lloydminster, but it is a huge increase from the one or two a year I have supported since I stopped doing doula work full-time in 2000 when I had Brendan. Only one of the births I attended has been in Lloydminster, so I am excited to get to know the staff better at the Lloyd. hospital. I know how incredibly busy they are, each time we attend a birth there we see the stress the nurses are under and are told repeatedly how important our support is for birthing mothers. Of all the hospitals I have worked, the nurses in Lloyd are the most overworked by far. They need our help as much as our clients do!

No comments: