Monday, May 31, 2004

Too soon old, too late wise
I have been pondering these words of wisdom since I read them last week. My Dad would not be impressed if I said I was old at the age of 35, and indeed I certainly do not feel as if I am "old" at 35. However, I have often wanted wisdom - something not easily attainable. I have studied Proverbs a lot over those years and the wisdom it contains, hoping to gleen from the wise king who wrote it. I am also extremely fortunate to have married a wise husband, without who's guidance I don't know where I would be today. He has supported me when my goals were solid and cautioned me when I needed to be careful. I did not always do as he recommended and ironically it was when I didn't that I found myself in a mess.

My last mess involved a less-than reputable business associate whom I considered a friend. I was fortunate that she didn't hurt me professionally, but she hurt me a great deal personally given that I trusted her and she betrayed that trust. For a long time after, I still missed the friendship we had and what it could have been. I had turned to Proverbs in solace, yet not finding the peace I was seeking because of the anger in my heart. I am thankful for the forgiveness of my Saviour in granting me the solace I needed when I was able to accept it, finally free from the anger which hampered my thoughts and actions. In forgiveness I have also found a deep sympathy for her, knowing she has alienated many including neighbours, business associates, clients, and friends. I truly hope she finds what she is looking for in life, whatever that may be.

Along this journey called life, I aspire to wisdom and some days I find glimpses of it. I truly hope to one day find wisdom has indeed called my name on a more regular basis and I can hold on to it knowing that I have moved to a point where it is no longer a fleeting aspect of my life journey. Great aspirations, eh?

No comments: