Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Intelligent Design

Today marks an incredibly sad day in US history as a Pennsylvania judge rules that intelligent design cannot be taught in biology because it smacks of creationism. Intelligent design holds that living organisms are so complex that they must have been created by some kind of higher force. This is in direct contrast to evolutionism, a theory developed by Charles Darwin (1809-1882), whereby man - and everything else - evolved because of random heritable genetic mutations (changes).

Associated Press writer Martha Raffaele reports, "A six-week trial over the issue yielded "overwhelming evidence" establishing that intelligent design "is a religious view, a mere re-labeling of creationism, and not a scientific theory," said Jones, a Republican and a churchgoer appointed to the federal bench three years ago."

OK let's get the facts here. Two scientific theories are in direct contrast to each other. One is stating that we evolved into what we are today and the other stating that a higher force created us. So why not teach both? Simple question. Because one is believed to be a 'religious concept' and as such "violates the constitutional separation of church and state." Wow.

So what you are saying is that simply because one theory is based on our needing to believe in a higher power, my children would not be taught that there are two theories to our existence on earth? Well, there is yet ANOTHER reason I am homeschoooling. I encourage my children to learn to challenge and study and come to their own conclusions, WITHOUT government censuring based on symantics. My 14-year-old is studying Biology this year. We are learning using Apologia's curriculum and exploring both theories. Believe me, he is learning with all the science (or lack thereof) supporting each theory - and no government censuring. It is his right to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog article on intelligent design. My son is in catholic school, hope they teach him that.

Found your blog because I am researching you for the YWCA Woman of Distinction Award nomination on the category of Social Sciences, Social Services and Advocacy. I want the recognition for your work in advocating for women having cesareans and VBACs. Reserve June 15, 2006, for going to the awards gala at Northlands. Cheers.

Claudia

Connie Thompson said...

Oh my goodness Claudia... I am still pinching myself over your nomination! Thanks so much and I can't wait until June!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Connie,
Good for you, and congradulations!
Michele