Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Sewing
I have been sewing a lot since we moved in to our new house in May. It has become a ritual with each new home we purchase, to make the drapes, valances, pillows, shams, and whatever else we need to change to fit with the latest house's decor. It is almost a bonding with our new home as we go from "open concept" (in this case meaning a view of our neighbourhood beyond the unshuttered windows) to our concluded cocoon of drapery fabrics and blinds, which allows us to view our neighbourhood when we wish.

Today I am finishing up the many valances that coordinate our main floor living space. They are of the same material as the living room drapes, the first project to be completed when we moved in. We found beautiful fabrics to coordinate with the drape material and our new sofas for pillows. I have made to huge floor pillows as well, a great place for the constant overflow of children we have at our house. Our bedroom is looking amazing, I have finished the drapes, bed skirt, pillow shams and three wonderful comfy pillows to read or watch TV in bed with. The only thing left is the duvet cover and I am finished. Just in time as we prepare for the school year ahead.

I find sewing very cathartic. Since I have done it all my life, it takes little thought beyond the initial planning, thus allowing me the ability to think and dream and reflect. I have been focused lately on the upcoming year as we plan school and my stream of workshops this fall and next spring. Everything is close to ready, including the new Childbirth Educator manual I am authoring for the Global Birth Institute. Exciting days ahead!

No comments: