Thursday, August 12, 2004

Copyrights and Plagiarizm
I have found many instances in my professional life where I have not fully understood copyright and plagiarizm. I gave myself a primer on the Canadian Copyright Act and reflection on the meaning of plagiarism recently, learn with me.

Ownership of Copyright: Subject to this Act, the author of a work shall be the first owner of the copyright therein. R.S., 1985, c. C-42, s. 13; 1997, c. 24, s. 10.

Term of Coyright: The term for which copyright shall subsist shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by this Act, be the life of the author, the remainder of the calendar year in which the author dies, and a period of fifty years following the end of that calendar year. R.S., 1985, c. C-42, s. 6; 1993, c. 44, s. 58.

Plagiarizm (from Webster's 1913 dictionary) is: \Pla"gia*rize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Plagiarized}; p.pr. & vb. n. {Plagiarizing}.]To steal or purloin from the writings of another; to appropriate without due acknowledgement (the ideas or expressions of another).

No comments: