Thursday, April 04, 2013

Polyphasic Sleep - Day 3

10:00 - 2:15 am: sleep
6:15 - 6:35 am: nap with dream, very refreshing
10:00 - 10:20 am: nap
6:30 - 7:20 pm: nap
11:00 - 11:20 pm: nap
1:00 - 3:00 am: sleep

This has been an interesting three days! With all of this extra time, and the incredible lack of fatigue that I have been feeling (I was constantly fatigued before this), I am accomplishing huge chunks of my "to do" list. Problem: I'm running out of things to do. Short of becoming even more annoying to my family because of my new uber-efficiency, I'm spending more time with friends and that has been wonderful!

Yesterday I spent several hours with a good friend who is planning a business startup. I helped walk her through her first steps and what she needed to do, it felt good to share in her excitement, they have a solid idea that is going to take them far. I am so excited for her and her husband! That meant skipping my 2 pm nap but I slept a little longer at 6:30 pm to make up for it. I'm not sure if the extra sleep helped though because I was feeling a bit tired after my 11:00 pm nap so I went to bed a bit early and slept a bit longer at 1:00 am this morning. It is now almost 5 and I feel great!

One of the things I was curious about was my belief that it is during sleep that our bodies repair themselves. If an uberman sleeps only 2 hours, when does your body repair? I have had significantly less sleep than I normally do and yet I feel less fatigue and more refreshed than I have in quite a while. In talking to other polyphasic sleepers, it turns out that we don't actually repair physically during sleep, only our brain needs this.

Another concern I had was, if and how does diet effect sleep? Well in my personal experience, I have found that only eating just before going to sleep makes it more difficult to wake from a nap. Steve Pavlina discussed in his uberman log that it was his vegan diet that contributed greatly to the ease in which he adopted uberman sleep. Although I eat a very healthy diet (processed food almost never enters my body), I do eat meat protein and drink coffee, though never more than two cups a day. I thought a lot about eliminating caffeine from my diet for this experiment, but I wanted to see the effects of my normal diet. Caffeine is a stimulant, however it has never effected my ability to fall asleep in the past so I decided to continue with my 1-2 cups a day. I was right and actually, drinking a cup just before I nap leaves me very refreshed upon waking. So, I have learned that eating shortly after a nap and coffee before a nap are good things. I would love to hear from other polyphasic sleepers as to the effects of diet during your experience!

No comments: