Monday, April 08, 2013

Days 4 - 5


Day 4

1:00 - 3:00 am: sleep
6:00 am: nap
1:20 pm: nap
6:00 pm: nap
11:00 pm - 3:00 am: sleep

Day four was wonderful, I was ready to take the leap to uberman sleep that night as I was only sleeping 3 hours each night. I have not been tired this entire experiment and I was excited about the next step! Then a migraine started to set in that evening, around 9 pm. It started so slowly I thought it was simply a stiff neck from the busy day I had. I rarely take medication for any pain. My usual plan is to sleep and let my body restore function. If that doesn't work, then I turn to homeopathy, then herbs, then drugs, in that order. So I decided to forgo Uberman naps and get a few hours together. I stayed up an hour past my usual nap time and slept until I woke, which was four hours. That is when I realized this wasn't simple neck soreness, I was heading into migraine land.
 
Day 5

5:00 am - 6:30 am: sleep 10:00 - 11:30 am: sleep
2:00: nap
6:00 - 8:30 pm: sleep
9:30 pm - 7:00 am: sleep
My migraines started 6 1/2 years ago as a result of a very unfortunate incident that caused me extreme stress and though I don't get them very often, they usually last for two days. If I am able to get to my chiropractor early, I can sometimes shorten them to one day. For the migraine pain, I simply have always just slept them off, when possible. The longer I ignore it and don't sleep, the worse it gets. As I highly doubt my chiropractor was awake at 3:00 am, so I opted for sleep. Not wanting to annihilate my polyphasic sleep schedule, I took longer naps, which my body craved. I had meetings in the afternoon so I couldn't continue sleeping but by 6 pm the pain was so severe I was nauseous and it was impossible to keep my eyes open from the pain. I apologized to my family and I crashed, hard. When I woke at 8:30 pm I knew I was on the right track as the pain had lessened. However I knew if I pushed it and tried to stay awake, it would be much worse. So I went back to bed after making sure my kids had brushed their teeth and tucking them in. I crashed again and made myself stay in bed until it was gone. That wasn't hard, as I only woke up twice and was able to go back to sleep fairly well again.
 
What have I done to my polyphasic sleep schedule?

No comments: