Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Polyphasic Sleep - Day One


I have completed my first day of polyphasic sleep. This is going to be interesting as with a try polyphasic sleep schedule, a "Day" is relative. I will endeavor to focus on a day, for this blog, as the time from midnight to midnight. So here it goes, my plan was to start with something like this: naps at 6 am, 10 am, 2 pm, 6 pm, and sleep from 10 pm to 2 am. My schedule went like this:

12:00 - 3:15 am: sleep

5:00 - 5:30 am: nap (after which I decided to start this polyphasic journey instead of just read about it)

10:00 - 10:20 am: nap

2:00 - 3:00 pm: nap, which will teach me not to sleep in the sun like a cat!

8:30 pm - 1:30 am: sleep

This differs slightly from the plan I made. Yet only slightly, because of my cat sleep in the afternoon. I chose to skip my 6 pm nap because of this and go to bed a bit earlier instead.

I found that with my 10 am nap it was difficult to fall asleep, possibly because I am excited about this new adventure! That is partially why I chose to nap in the sun at 2 pm, to help me fall asleep as I LOVE to sleep curled up in a sunny patch, even if it is the middle of the carpet!

I am using an alarm clock to wake me each time and was warned about not getting up when it goes off (like what happened with my 2 pm nap). Yet, as I am working up to true Uberman sleep through the Everyman sleep schedule, I am not going to get upset about a few challenges at this point. I felt no fatigue at all today and my body was telling me to nap right on schedule. I hadn't anticipated this happening until my body had become more accustomed to this new way of sleeping. Intriguing.

One of the suggestions I received was to have a BIG list of things to do to keep my occupied. I have that in spades though it is getting accomplished quicker than I thought. Steve Pavlina recommends doing more active work (not reading on a comfy couch) during the night as this is when fatigue can catch you. So my plan is to do the bulk of my writing at night (like I am doing now, is is 3 am) which keeps me focused and sitting at a desk. If you have any suggestions to help me along, please throw them my way!

No comments: