Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Pretty Princess

Yesterday saw my last Christmas shopping journey to Wal-Mart and what insanity that was! Brendan wanted everything he laid his eyes on, to the extreme. Mommy was not a happy camper dealing with his constant whining and only by virtue of this being our last trip did I not leave the store. Eric and Ryan were great, focused on getting what they needed for their "$20 gift" (more on this in a minute) but Breanna kept cart hopping, in and out, from one cart to another (we usually bring two, one for the two littles and one for purchases). That added interest to the frustration, believe me.

This last shopping trip included three dress-up dresses for Breanna, Taylor (my sister's 5 yo daughter) and Olivia (my other sister's 3 yo daughter). Princess dresses to be exact, Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. Breathtaking things they are, all flouncy with a full skirt and crinolines, satin and lace. Well I knew in a heartbeat which one my little princess wanted, the pink one. Cinderella she will be and it will be a very well used dress as she loves to wear her dress up clothes all the time.

Well, Princess Peanut (aka Breanna) found the darn things this morning in my hiding place under my bed. I would have had them wrapped already but I can't find boxes that fit them in all their crinoline wonder. So she quietly and quickly stripped down and doned her new find, so very excited and so very happy. Christmas happens but once a year... well apparently not at our house this year. I didn't have the heart to take it away and immediately plan B was hatched. I would let her wear it today and wrap it to be opened again, and I am sure just as happily.

She changed after lunch, wanting it "cleaned" because of a slight spot of ketchup on the sleeve and I obliged her, putting it carefully in the laundry room per her request. Now to clean and wrap it, along with the other two, quickly before she remembers it again!

Now, about the $20 gift. My family every year has each adult member (my two oldest boys opted in to the fun this year) buys and brings a $20 gift. We put the whole lot into the center of the room and using a deck of cards, go around the room opening each gift as we go through the deck (ace of spaces first, king of hearts last - if we have that many there). Now you have a choice when it is your turn, open an unopened gift or take one of the already open gifts and give an unopened gift to the person you took the gift from. It is loads of fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by and commenting. I cannot IMAGINE hiding all that crinoline-- it's a foreign substance around here!

Anne